Friday, August 28, 2015

Help Yazidi Women Now!

Dear blogger readers, friends and family,

I started this blog about 2 years ago after freshly arriving to Germany to document my life as a student abroad. I never imagined that 2 years later life would take me down the road I find myself today.

About three weeks ago my boyfriend (Joel) and I stumbled upon a BBC documentary featuring Nareen Shammo, a female activist from Iraq. We learned about the horrors Yazidi women were and continue to experience in the hands of ISIS. We were moved to tears and knew we had to do something. After meeting with Nareen Shammo in Hamburg, we launched a crowdfunding campaign in order to raise money to help these women and girls in any way we could.

I can't start to describe to you what a roller coaster ride it has been. There were many obstacles set out in our way, from having someone on Facebook flag our links to unjustifiably being shut down by GoFundMe (which by the way is NOT a good platform to work with, if you ever decided to start a crowd funding campaign). There were times we even considered giving up, letting go of this cause which means so much to us, but we persevered and have overcome.

In only 5 days we have raised close to 5,000 dollars in donations for this cause! We have a couple of broadcasting companies interested in interviewing us, and have contacts in Iraq, including the Iraqi Red Cross, ready to help us move forward.


I am writing this post to forever thank all the people, friends and family members, who are fighting beside us to end these atrocious acts of terror. YOU are the reason these women and young girls will be saved and helped. I am deeply moved by the kindness that resides in all of you, and want you to know that I am forever grateful.

I also want to extend a special thank you to Jill Crosby, whom has helped us tremendously with our campaign. She shared our cause and story with over 100,000 of her clients at Spiritual Singles, boosting our exposure to another level.

We will be on the ground in Iraq to administer the funds and film the actual situation and stories of these women and other refugees. All of the footage, pictures and news will be sent to you as soon as it is edited.

I can't imagine a better way to end this blog than by sharing with you the beginnings of this new chapter. For all of you who have donated, thank you! For anyone new reading this letter, please join us in this cause by donating at https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/b12JM7/ab/b56Py4

Thank you all for fighting by our side to keep the hope alive for these victims.

Much love,
Gabby


No comments:

Post a Comment