Thursday, July 31, 2014

A Little Bit of Everything...

So tomorrow its the beginning of my last month in Peru (yes, time flies!), which leaves me with nearly 4 months of my life down south going undocumented. Oh well haha, there is so much to say but rarely enough time to write it down, but here's a few things I consider to be the highlights of my stay in Peru thus far:

LIMA:

Big ol' grey Lima. Oh will I... sort of not miss you. And I say this in a semi-jokingly way for Lima and I have a love-hate relationship. On the one hand, there's the people, los amigos :). The friendly, loving extrovert Limeños that I hold so dear to me. Always ready to show you a good time and welcome you to their lives. There's also the nightlife, the concerts, the free cultural events, not to mention lots of really good fruits and veggies, and of course endless supply of ceviche and pisco sour. Perfecto. But then there is also the never-ending traffic, the smog, the constant honking and yelling, and the weather the horrible, horrible weather of Lima well known for its obnoxious levels of humidity. Not so bueno. So yeah tho I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in Lima, I must confess, I am also very much looking forward to heading back to my German paradise pronto.

SELVA CENTRAL:


Cuenca Rio Tambo
My 17 day stay in the jungle was without doubt an unforgettable experience. Living among the Asháninka people definitely opened my eyes to a simpler yet happier way of life. I visited a total of 4 communities along the Tambo river, which we mostly navigated by peque peque--small canoes with motors that can carry about 4-6 people. It was a long journey from Lima. 10-14 hours by road, then 3-4 hours by boat to the first community. Upon arrival, most natives would gather at the community assembly to receive us. Since I went there to gather information about their cacao production for my research project, I spent most days interviewing farmers, visiting their homes and farms, and learning about their way of life. Some of my favorite things included: masato (a kassava-based drink), suri (a palm tree worm that they roast and eat), the festivities for Father's day and community anniversaries, which I was very lucky to presence while staying there, and the streams and rivers, where I spent many mornings and afternoons either showering or escaping the heat.

LAGUNA RAPAGANA


Laguna Rapagna
My most recent adventure as of a couple of days. A beautiful mountain lake at 4575 meters in elevation. An easy trip from Lima that you can fit in 3 days. Started the hike from Rio Blanco a small town near San Mateo de Huanchor, where I spent the night at a hostel. Because of the elevation and the constant uphill climb, it took me a good 5 hours to reach the lake. It was a tough hike, the kind that leaves you breathless multiple times, where the recurring thought is "screw this!" But oh man was it worth it! A beautiful pristine lake surrounded by rocky mountains slightly covered by snow. Blissful.



No comments:

Post a Comment