Friday, March 14, 2014

Yoga in the Park

Peace Revolution and
Caleidoscopio Yoga Comunitario 
A quick note before I head out tonight to dance some Peruvian cumbia with my new patitas (a los Puertorros: esto acá significa amigazos no mas ;) ).

Yesterday, my new favorite person in Lima, Daniela, hit me up at work and invited me to a yogi gathering at a park in Miraflores. It's a pretty small group of yoga-lovers and meditators. They get together every Thursday at night and together work through yoga exercises with the help of an instructor. Then after everyone is loosened up and feeling good, one of the girls guides the group through a meditation session.

Head scratchies before meditation :) 
Now, let me tell you about my experience with meditation. I have none. I have tried left and right, stayed in monasteries, read books, and sipped milk tea with monks, all with the hope to extract some insight on how to enter the state of stillness but nada. So not only was I pleased, but also, utterly surprised when in a park near a main street in one of the busiest parts of town in Lima, I was able to successfully meditate. My mind went quiet, and I felt how my face softened, how the pressure at the back of my neck released. I lost sensation in my fingers, and my legs, they slowly synced with the grass down below. The air which felt cold before no longer did, and two images prevailed in my mind of a very special place of my childhood. It was beautiful. I left feeling pretty darn good and definitely excited for the next meditation session.

Highly recommended if you are new to the city. Here's their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/peacerevolutionperu

Now off to la fiesta! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment